I am the spouse of a soldier killed in action. Can I get help paying taxes?

Surviving spouses of soldiers killed in action (combat-related only) can be granted tax relief. The surviving spouse must:

  • Have been married to the veteran at the time of death
  • Not have remarried
  • Own and use the property as his/her primary residence on which application is being made
  • Provide a copy of his/her spouse’s death certificate
  • Provide a form of personal ID such as a social security card, driver’s license, or military ID
  • Provide a title or bill of sale (for mobile homes)
  • There is no age or income requirement

Note: Determination of eligibility will be made based on information provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through use of a consent form available in the Shelby County Trustee’s Office. Under no conditions shall property tax relief extend to any person who was dishonorably discharged from any of the armed services.

To apply for Tax Relief, please contact Trustee Customer Service at (901) 222-0200.

Show All Answers

1. Is there a senior citizen discount for paying taxes?
2. May I apply for tax relief for my relative (parent, grandparent, etc.)?
3. Does the state have a lien on my property if I accept tax relief?
4. Are tax relief recipients exempt from paying property taxes?
5. How much is my estimated 2023 Shelby County tax relief benefit?
6. What if my taxes are paid by my mortgage company?
7. Can I receive relief on more than one property?
8. Do you have any special programs to help disabled veterans pay their taxes?
9. I am a widow(er) of a disabled veteran. Can I get help paying taxes?
10. I am the spouse of a soldier killed in action. Can I get help paying taxes?
11. I am a disabled homeowner. How can I get help paying my taxes?
12. My spouse is not listed as an owner on the deed. Do I need to include my spouse's income?