I am a widow(er) of a disabled veteran. Can I get help paying taxes?

Property tax relief can be granted to the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who at the time of the disabled veteran’s death was eligible for disabled veterans’ property tax relief by meeting one of the following categories:

  • A service-connected disability that resulted in paraplegia or permanent paralysis of both legs and lower part of the body resulting from traumatic injury or disease to the spinal cord or brain; or loss or loss of use of two or more limbs; or legal blindness
  • A total and permanent disability rating from a service-connected disability
  • A 100% total and permanent disability rating from being a prisoner of war
  • Death resulting from a service-connected, combat-related cause

The surviving spouse must:

  • Have been married to the veteran at the time of death
  • Not have remarried
  • Own and use the property as his/her primary residence on which application is being made
  • Provide a copy of his/her spouse’s death certificate
  • Provide a form of personal ID such as a social security card, driver’s license, or military ID
  • Provide a title or bill of sale (for mobile homes)
  • There is no income requirement

Note: Determination of eligibility will be made based on information provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through use of a consent form available in the Shelby County Trustee’s Office. Under no conditions shall property tax relief extend to any person who was dishonorably discharged from any of the armed services.

To apply for Tax Relief, please call Trustee Customer Service at (901) 222-0200.

Show All Answers

1. Is there a senior citizen discount for paying taxes?
2. May I apply for tax relief for my relative (parent, grandparent, etc.)?
3. Does the state have a lien on my property if I accept tax relief?
4. Are tax relief recipients exempt from paying property taxes?
5. How much is my estimated 2023 Shelby County tax relief benefit?
6. What if my taxes are paid by my mortgage company?
7. Can I receive relief on more than one property?
8. Do you have any special programs to help disabled veterans pay their taxes?
9. I am a widow(er) of a disabled veteran. Can I get help paying taxes?
10. I am the spouse of a soldier killed in action. Can I get help paying taxes?
11. I am a disabled homeowner. How can I get help paying my taxes?
12. My spouse is not listed as an owner on the deed. Do I need to include my spouse's income?