Owner Change

Tax bills are mailed to property owners listed in the records of the Shelby County Assessor’s Office as of January 1st of each year. The Assessor provides the Trustee with property information by May 20 of each year for the purpose of billing taxes. In addition, the Trustee receives ownership information from the deeds recorded with the Shelby County Register’s Office. To correct the ownership record on a property, please contact the Register..

Because property ownership requires legal documentation, utmost care is required when a name change becomes necessary. An ownership change occurs when a property owner sells, conveys, quit claims or wills a property to another party. Once the change becomes a matter of record documented with a Warranty Deed, a Quit Claim Deed, a Death Certificate or another legal document, the Register will notify the Assessor of the change.

The Trustee is pleased to change the name on tax bills if the County Assessor or County Register has the change of record.