The Shelby County Trustee administers a state funded
Tax Relief Program to help taxpayers 65 or older, disabled citizens, and veterans pay their property taxes. For qualifying applicants, the state will pay all or part of the property taxes on their home (including mobile homes) depending on the maximum amount of Tax Relief credit given in relation to the taxes due. Please note that Tax Relief benefits are available for both city and county taxes!
For additional information, download the latest Tax Relief-Tax Freeze brochure
The Tax Relief Credit
The Tax Relief Credit is a rebate and does not have to be paid back unless it is later determined that the recipient was not eligible for the program. The income limit for elderly and disabled is $29,270
. There is no income limit for disabled veterans. For 2017, the maximum tax relief credit is:
- Shelby County property:
- $279.45 elderly and disabled
- $1,771.88 disabled vet, widow(er) of disabled vet, or spouse of a soldier killed in action
- Town of Arlington:
- $79.35 elderly and disabled
- $503.13 disabled vet, widow(er) of disabled vet, or spouse of a soldier killed in action
- City of Bartlett:
- $126.27 elderly and disabled
- $800.63 disabled vet, widow(er) of disabled vet, or spouse of soldier killed in action
- City of Lakeland:
- $86.25 elderly and disabled
- $546.88 disabled vet, widow(er) of disabled vet, or spouse of a soldier killed in action
- City of Millington:
- $105.57 elderly and disabled
- $669.38 disabled vet, widow(er) of disabled vet, or spouse of a soldier killed in action
Do I Qualify for Tax Relief?
You may be eligible for Tax Relief if you meet certain age, income, and residency requirements. Check Qualifications
Apply for Tax Relief
To obtain an application for Tax Relief on 2018 taxes, please contact Trustee Customer Service at 222-0200, option 2. The deadline to apply is April 5, 2019. Signed applications for Shelby County, Arlington, Bartlett, Lakeland, and Millington must be postmarked no later than April 5, 2019
. Please note that the Shelby County Trustee does not handle Tax Relief for the municipalities of Collierville, Germantown or Memphis, however
relief may be available. To inquire, please call the respective city's administration.
**Please note that the application date for benefits toward City of Memphis taxes is October 5, 2018.