What is a Wheel Tax Rebate?
For a qualifying senior or a disabled citizen, a rebate of the wheel tax that is included in your vehicle registration renewal is available each year. An eligible citizen may look forward to a standard rebate of $50 per year. Applications are processed by the Shelby County Trustee Office.
- Age 65 or older with household income $25,000 or less
- Disabled citizens under 65 with household income $25,000 or less
Note: Disabled License Plate number is required.Only one vehicle per household is eligible.
- An application complete with signature
- A copy of the paid vehicle registration
- Proof of Age (a copy of a driver's license or birth certificate)
- Proof of Income ( a copy of a Social Security Benefits Statement or Federal Tax Return)
- Disabled Drivers under 65 -- A copy of the paid vehicle registration for a Handicap License Plate (not hang tag)
For questions or more information, please call Trustee Customer Service at (901) 222-0200 and press option 4.